27 Feb Super Ager Habits. Click to keep reading…
What are some of the secrets of aging well? Recent studies have illuminated a few characteristics of people that have lived into their nineties, and another study looked at 80-somethings whose memory and cognitive ability matches people that are much younger.
- Close relationships: People that aged well have had very close relationships throughout their lives. Super Ager study author Emily Rogalski commented, “There are brain benefits of having good friends.”
- Drinking Alcohol: People that drink a glass of wine (or two) a day live longer compared to non-drinkers.
- Consuming Caffeine: People who enjoyed two cups of coffee or tea per day tended to live longer than those that had more or less caffeine.
- Regular Exercise; The sweet spot for exercise is about 45 minutes per day.
- Take up a Hobby: People that engage in a hobby a couple of hours a day tend to live longer than those that do not.
- Pudge Up in your 70’s: It’s OK to be a little overweight in your 70’s, it seems that being skinny when your older is not ideal.
- Cognitive Performance: Strength and physical performance impact cognition-probably due to the increased blood flow, oxygen and molecular changes that occur when you exercise.
The newest studies seem to suggest that lifestyle factors contribute to longevity, and more research needs to be conducted to understand the habits that lead to longevity, and the underlying explanations for why they do. The newest studies seem to suggest that lifestyle factors contribute to longevity, and more research needs to be conducted to understand the habits that lead to longevity, and the underlying explanations for why they do.